With its layers of brightly colored ingredients, this sandwich is as photogenic as it is delicious. The smoked gouda adds depth, while the crisp butterhead lettuce keeps the sweetness of the potatoes in check.
Wraps & Sandwiches
Sweet Potato and Smoked Gouda Sandwiches with Bowery Baby Butter Lettuce
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes Serves 4
Made for Bowery By
Sue Li is a food stylist and recipe developer based in New York City. She is a frequent contributor to New York Times Cooking and previously worked at Bon Appétit and Real Simple Magazine. And way before that, she worked at Eleven Madison Park as a line cook and learned about the world of recipe-making after she tested all the recipes for the restaurant’s first cookbook.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, about 8 oz, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 8 slices multigrain bread
- Bowery Baby Butter Lettuce, 4.5 oz
- 8 oz smoked gouda, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Toss sweet potato slices with oil on a sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast until tender and golden brown on both sides, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine red onion with vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside. Stir together mayonnaise and grated garlic in a separate bowl to combine.
- To make sandwiches, spread garlic mayonnaise on 8 slices of bread. Divide evenly, Bowery Baby Butter Lettuce, roasted sweet potato, pickled onions, and gouda amongst 4 slices of bread. Serve immediately.