Making Mediterranean-inspired bowls at home has never been easier with this flavor-packed eggplant version. To bulk it up even more, throw in a handful of sturdy greens like Bowery Baby Kale.
Bowery’s Spicy Herby Green Tahini Sauce over Roasted Eggplant
Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes Serves 4
Made for Bowery By
Rick Martinez is a James Beard Award nominee, future cookbook author and contributing food editor to Bon Appétit, New York Times and Food Network with a deep love of Mexican culture and cuisine. Rick lives in New York but is currently in Mexico researching regional food for his upcoming book, Siete Platos.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- 4 small to medium eggplants (about 2 lb.), halved lengthwise
- ¼ cup harissa
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- kosher salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 seeded jalapeño
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 cups Bowery Cilantro, packed, leaves and tender stems
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 6 radishes, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ½ cups mixed cooked whole grains (such as barley, freekeh, farro, and/or quinoa)
- 1 cup Bowery Basil leaves, torn
- lemon wedges (for serving)
- Optional: 1 cup Bowery Baby Kale
- Whisk harissa, honey and 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl.
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 400° F. Score cut sides of eggplants with a sharp knife. Brush with half of the harissa mixture and roast, skin side down, on a large rimmed baking sheet on the upper rack, until tender and lightly browned, 22–28 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°. Brush remaining glaze over cut sides of eggplants. Roast until glaze is browned and bubbling, 12–15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Puree ¼ cup lemon juice, zest, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, 2 tablespoons oil, and ¼ cup cold water in a blender on high speed until smooth and very green. Add tahini and puree until smooth; season generously with salt.
- Toss radish, onion, grains, and basil in remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and remaining 4 tablespoons oil until completely coated; season with salt. If using Bowery Baby Kale, add in during this step.
- Divide eggplants among plates; spoon grain salad over. Top with herby green tahini cream.