We love this simple yet powerfully delicious Spiced Lentil Salad. Adding Baby Rabe into the mix makes this a fall-menu fave we keep coming back to.
Spiced Lentils With Bowery Baby Rabe, Pistachios & Halloumi
The official salad of fall.
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes Serves 4
Made for Bowery By
Rebecca Firkser is a Brooklyn-based food writer and recipe developer. She’s currently the assigning editor at Food52.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- Kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups black beluga or French green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup raw pistachios, hazelnuts, or almonds, roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6- to 8-ounces grilling cheese, such as Halloumi or paneer, torn into 1-inch pieces
- Bowery Baby Rabe, 1.5 oz
Make it vegan
For a vegan preparation, omit the cheese.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and season with plenty of salt, as you would if making pasta. Cover the pot and bring the water to a boil over medium high heat, then stir in the lentils. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the lentils are tender but not mushy, 15 to 30 minutes depending on the lentil variety and age (start tasting at 15 and go from there). Remove from the heat, drain the lentils into a sieve, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Use a microplate to grate the garlic and zest the lemon. Set aside in a small bowl. Heat the ⅓ cup oil in a small nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium low heat until it starts to shimmer, about 1 minute, then add the pistachios, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture smells toasty and fragrant, about 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the Aleppo pepper, grated garlic and lemon zest. Transfer to a small bowl, scraping out all the toasted seeds, and season with salt. Let cool for 10 minutes (the nuts will crisp up as they sit), then pour the oil mixture into the bowl with the lentils. Hang onto the skillet.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet over medium high. Working in batches if needed, add the Halloumi pieces to the skillet and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crispy on all exterior sides and gooey on the inside, about 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. If the cheese is unsalted (check the package), season with salt.
- Halve the zested lemon and juice it into the lentil mixture. Toss well and season to taste with more salt and black pepper. Gently toss in the Bowery Baby Rabe. Transfer the salad to a shallow serving bowl and scatter over the fried Halloumi. Season with more black pepper and serve.