There’s a reason taco salad has been ubiquitous for decades—its combination of crunchy, spicy and cool flavors are crowd pleasers for the whole family. This modern version packs in more whole foods than its predecessor, and the easily adaptable toppings make it perfect for cooking with kids.
Bowery Crispy Leaf Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 10 minutes Serves 4
Made for Bowery By
Sue Li is a food stylist and recipe developer based in New York City. She is a frequent contributor to New York Times Cooking and previously worked at Bon Appétit and Real Simple Magazine. And way before that, she worked at Eleven Madison Park as a line cook and learned about the world of recipe-making after she tested all the recipes for the restaurant’s first cookbook.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
- 1 chipotle in adobo plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 14 oz block firm tofu, drained and crumbled (Substitute with ground turkey or ground chicken)
- 2 medium ripe avocado, cut into 1-inch pieces, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Bowery Crispy Leaf, 4.5 oz
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Bowery Cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 1 ounce cotija cheese, crumbled
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add 1/2 sliced onion and 2 cloves garlic and cook, stirring frequently until the edges begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chipotle in adobo and sauce and cumin and season with salt and pepper and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Add tofu and stir to coat in the onion mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until tofu is slightly browned and crisp on the edges, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine 1 avocado, sour cream, lime juice, and remaining clove garlic to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Pulse to blend until smooth and with the processor running, add 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread Crispy Leaf on a serving platter or individual bowls. Top with cherry tomatoes, cilantro, cotija, and remaining avocado and red onion. Crumble a handful of tortilla chips and serve with avocado dressing.