We love any recipe that uses leftovers. With its variety of colors and textures, this crispy chicken salad is an ideal way to turn leftover rotisserie chicken into an impressive, hearty lunch.
Crispy Chicken & Bowery Baby Butter
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 30-40 minutes Serves 4
Made for Bowery By
Rick Martinez is a James Beard Award nominee, future cookbook author and contributing food editor to Bon Appétit, New York Times and Food Network with a deep love of Mexican culture and cuisine. Rick lives in New York but is currently in Mexico researching regional food for his upcoming book, Siete Platos.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- 3 honeynut squash, halved, seeds removed, or 1 acorn squash, seeds removed, cut into thick wedges
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1” wedges
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 small rotisserie chicken, meat pulled from bones and shredded
- Bowery Baby Butter, 4.0 oz
- 1 tart red apple, cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Meanwhile, toss squash, onion and thyme with 3 Tbsp. oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Turn squash and onion cut side down and roast until browned and tender, 20–30 minutes.
- Heat remaining 6 tablespoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over high until oil shimmers. Cook chicken, undisturbed, until golden brown on 1 side (can vary depending on how hot your skillet is). Carefully turn and cook until golden brown on the second side. Transfer chicken to a large heatproof bowl.
- Whisk cider vinegar, apple cider and Dijon in a small measuring cup, reserve 1/3 cup dressing for lettuce and squash.
- Pour remaining dressing over chicken and toss to combine.
- When ready to serve, toss half of reserved dressing with lettuce, apple, walnuts and tarragon; season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a serving platter. Top with chicken, squash and onion wedges. Drizzle remaining dressing over squash and serve.