Perfect for a party, these fried wings put a vegetarian spin on the classic snack food. The comforting ranch sauce is packed with flavor thanks to parsley, cilantro, and basil. While the recipe is baseline vegetarian, it can easily be tweaked to be vegan.
Cauliflower “Wings” with Bowery’s Herbed Tahini Ranch
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 10 minutes Serves 4
Made for Bowery By
Jodi Moreno is a chef, culinary consultant, and food stylist. She is also the author of the James Beard Nominated cookbook, More with Less: Whole Food Cooking Made Irresistibly Simple.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¾ cups cassava flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons high-heat oil (such as avocado or grapeseed)
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (cashew yogurt works as well)
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon Bowery Parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon Bowery Cilantro, minced
- Bowery Basil, 1.25 ounces, minced
Make it vegan
To make this recipe vegan, simply swap the greek yogurt for a plant-based yogurt.
- Place all of the ingredients (except for the water) into a food processor. Pulse until smooth, adding water a tablespoon at the time until you have the consistency you like. Set aside while you prepare the cauliflower.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, and water (you may need to add more water depending on humidity etc). Aim to achieve a batter-like consistency (think pancakes).
- In a large, shallow pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Test to make sure the oil is hot enough by flicking a tiny amount of batter into the pan. If it sizzles, it’s ready. Then, one by one, dip the cauliflower into the batter being sure to get even coverage—then add it straight to the pan. Do not overcrowd the pan, you might need to fry them in two batches.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until just turning golden brown. Then, transfer cauliflower wings to a plate and serve warm with tahini ranch on the side.