Fresh basil adds a fragrant pop to this breakfast classic of crispy potatoes with fried eggs.
Bowery Basil Potato Hash with Fried Eggs
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes Serves 4
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Bowery Basil, 1.5 oz. leaves picked
- 4 large eggs
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, melt butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil until butter begins to foam.
- Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to soften and caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add diced onion and bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper. Fold in half of the basil leaves into the potato hash. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat and crack in the eggs. Cook until the whites have set and the edges are crispy.
- Serve the hash with a fried egg on top of each portion and garnish with fresh basil leaves.