This decadent, savory pie wraps baby kale with tangy goat cheese in a butter crust—an easy way to get anyone to eat their greens.
Bowery Baby Kale, Basil and Goat Cheese Pie
Prep: 30-45 minutes | Cook: 1 hour Serves 4-6
Made for Bowery By
Ashton Keefe is a chef and culinary stylist whose work has appeared in Food & Wine Magazine, The New York Times, as well as the Today Show and Martha Stewart. Her bubbly and convivial nature mirrors her overarching and founding belief that food is an act of love and an opportunity for beauty.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- 2 pie doughs rolled out into 10” – 11” circles
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 ½ containers Bowery Baby Kale
- Bowery Basil, 1.25oz, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 eggs, divided
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line the bottom of a 9” pie or casserole dish with one pie round.
- Heat a large high-sided pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic until just translucent and fragrant and then add kale (in batches, if needed) and sauté until they have broken down. Add basil and stir. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and remove from heat and let cool.
- Give the mixture a rough chop, set aside, and drain excess liquid if very wet. When cool, mix in 1 egg.
- While greens break down, melt butter in a small saucepan and whisk in flour, cooking for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and cook for 5-7 minutes until thickened, season with remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and remove from heat.
- Add Parmesan cheese and fold into kale mixture. Crumble in goat cheese and add the entire mixture to the pie or casserole dish.
- Cut small slits in the second pie round and lay over top of the kale mixture.
- Whisk remaining egg to make egg wash and brush on top. Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.