Everything tastes better with ranch, especially when it’s homemade. This vegan riff on the classic dressing is a great way to use up leftover herbs, and the mellow flavor of the Baby Butter Lettuce lettuce makes it the perfect canvas for whatever veggies you have on hand.
Bowery Baby Kale and Cheese Salad
Prep: 10 minutes Serves 4
Made for Bowery By
Ashton Keefe is a chef and culinary stylist whose work has appeared in Food & Wine Magazine, The New York Times, as well as the Today Show and Martha Stewart. Her bubbly and convivial nature mirrors her overarching and founding belief that food is an act of love and an opportunity for beauty.
Featured Bowery Ingredients
- Bowery Baby Kale, 4 oz
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper, to taste
- kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
Make it vegan
For a vegan preparation, either omit the parmesan cheese or replace with a plant-based substitute.
- Place kale and almonds in a serving bowl.
- In a separate container, whisk together lemon juice, salt and olive oil.
- With a smaller spoon, stir in cheese, cider vinegar, apple cider, and grainy Dijon mustard. The dressing will be thick and cheesy, loosen with more acid (lemon juice) or olive oil, as you’d like or if you feel necessary. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add dressing to greens and using your hands or two spoons toss well, this may take a little work given the dressing is thicker.